Quick DescriptionSeeing AI is an app that reads written text.
Will help with
Seeing AI app is designed to help visually impaired people read and interpret the world around them. Our NHS clinicans also find that it helps with acquired dyslexia. Made by Microsoft for the health market.
What they say: Seeing AI is a free app that narrates the world around you. Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people texts and objects.
Optimized for use with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognise:
• Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
• Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognises the text, along with its original formatting.
• Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available. (works with iPhone 6 and later)
• People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognise them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
• Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
• Currency - Recognises currency notes. (Requires iOS 11)
• Colour - Identifies colour.
• Handwriting - Reads handwritten text like in greeting cards
• Light - Generates an audible tone corresponding to the brightness in the surroundings.
• Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognise with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
• Photo browsing experience - Describes photos on your phone
NHS review: Excellent tool for visually impaired. Basically reads aloud written text. It's also great for people who have an acquired dyslexia. We have found this a useful tool within Stroke and other Neurological conditions. Our speech therapists and occupational therapists recommend this app. The videos on you tube are useful.
Tested on: 4/6/2020